Monday, February 24, 2014

Poop.

Yea, that's right. You read correctly. Poop.

Now, let me explain.

I was 10 years old and visiting Maryland with my family. It was a visit that changed my life. Forever. My cousins were all in town and we were playing football outside in my aunt's yard. I was an extremely competitive child growing up, so much that it could get ugly at times... I got ugly many times.

I had the ball and was running for the end zone when all of a sudden... I...slipped...in...poop. It was game over for me. After realizing I had fallen, looked at my leg and there was a streak of doggie goodness smeared into my fair colored skin. I stared into the sky and could hear the giggles start. I sat straight up and looked at the smiling faces of my cousins. My vision started to blur due to the welling up of my eyes and I threw the ball at the closest cousin and ran into the house.

I ran to my Dad. I just wanted him to beat everyone up. I told him what had happened and that everyone was making fun of my fall. He took a knee beside me.

"People are going to laugh at you. They are going to point. But when the world tries to put you down, you need to learn to laugh at yourself. Because the moment you do, the faster you'll get back up."

I didn't like what he said but I knew he was right. I went back out with a forced smile. I didn't want to laugh at myself but I took the first steps I needed to take and almost immediately we all just moved on to the next game.

So, let's not beat around the bush; You're going to slip and fall in poop. People are going to offend you and try to get you worked up. They are going to test you in the worst ways possible. When you plan for a clear path and a solid goal even your closest friend can unintentionally trip you up. You are going to fall. But that doesn't mean you will fail.

Laugh at yourself. If nothing else, smile and know it's just a lesson for your life. It is not your life! The moment you get offended is the moment you open a door to allow the world to pick at you until you you harden your heart and 90% of the time, the only person your constant anger will hurt, is yourself.

Why is it so important to laugh at yourself? Author Susan Sparks said, "If you can laugh at yourself, you can forgive yourself." It's one thing to be forgiven by God and it's another to forgive yourself. Laughing at yourself shows the world you have an optimistic personality, and that you're strong enough to get back up and keep moving.

God wants you to be free from resentment and offense. When you fall, whether people are intentionally trying, or in ignorance hurt you, open your arms in grace by forgiving them. Forgive yourself for any pride that's tried to well up and let those around you know, it'll take a lot more than poop to keep you down.

Learn the lesson now so you can enjoy what the other chapters of life have to offer. It's not an easy thing to do but it's necessary if you ever want to experience the best person you can be in serving God, understanding yourself and loving others.

"The end of something is better than its beginning. Not giving up in spirit is better than being proud in spirit. Do not be quick in spirit to be angry. For anger is in the heart of fools." Ecclesiastes 7:8-9 (New Century Version)

"Smart people know how to hold their tongue; their grandeur is to forgive and forget." Proverbs 19:11 (The Message)

Further Reading: Colossians 3:12-17

No comments:

Post a Comment