Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Junk Food

I had eaten way too many snacks. I was filled up on sweets and food that should not have been in my body. Mom was going to kill me, I just knew it. Dinner time came around and I felt awful. I felt full and lethargic from the abnormal amounts of sugar and carbs. Set before me was a healthy, savory, and satisfying dinner and I couldn't take one bite. Nothing about the way I felt, felt satisfying.

We've been moving in a #fitfam trend, where many of my family and friends have been posting and sharing photos and words of physical fitness, encouraging healthy eating and activity. But let's talk about eating healthy spiritually. Someone recently asked me if God's grace was enough and, although my initial reaction was to look shocked, shake my head and say "Duh, of course," I took a minute to answer.

I thought back to the times when I questioned God myself and remembered the main reason I was questioning Him was because I wasn't eating the right stuff spiritually. I hung around a lot of negativity and made poor choices that filled me up insufficiently. Discouragement, doubt, fear. I allowed myself to swallow self-pity because a certain day or plan didn't go my way and slowly but surely, I was too full to feel the satisfaction and health of God's grace. And the worst part about it was, I was in no shape to help anyone. I was out of shape spiritually.

God's grace is always enough, but you're not going to fully know that unless you're making an effort to live a healthy lifestyle, both physically and spiritually.

1 Timothy 4:8 states, "For physical training is of some value (useful for a little), but godliness (spiritual training) is useful and of value in everything and in every way, for it holds promise for the present life and also for the life which is to come." (AMP)

When you stop eating junk food, stop filling yourself up on the things that aren't going to benefit you or anyone else you will begin to make an impact in your life and the lives of others. You will clearly see, and be filled with the Spirit that produces love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control (Gal 5:22-23,25). You will be in step with God's purpose for your life and rest in it with satisfaction. PAY ATTENTION to what you're eating; what and who you're allowing into your life. Stay focused so when the day comes when someone asks you if God's grace is truly enough, you'll be able to have them over for dinner.


No comments:

Post a Comment