Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Melissa, Alisha, & Me

(dedicated to children with special needs)

She wasn't a popular girl by any means. There was something special about her. When she would do her school work there was an adult that helped her. I don't remember her having a lot of friends. I do remember her always being happy.

I was in the 3rd or 4th grade and she gave me an invitation to her birthday party. Melissa had invited numerous people to her birthday party but I remember hearing that not many of my friends were planning to go. I took the invitation home and showed my mom and asked her if I should go. Mom told me Melissa would be grateful and encouraged. I remember nodding with a sinking feeling in my stomach. Was I embarrassed? No. Was I ignorant? Yes.

We walked up to her house and I rang the doorbell. I'm pretty sure my Mom and I had gotten her something Lisa Frank. Her mom answered the door with a smile and let us in. Melissa came over quickly to greet us and I gave her my gift. In return she gave me a hat and invited me to her tea party. There at the table was another friend or two. I wanted to feel sorry for her, but she was so happy... she gave me nothing to feel sorry about.

Her mom had made tiny finger sandwiches and we had an absolute blast. I remember my imagination running wild in the colors and party trinkets. The feeling I had received that day is the reason I stand for babies and children with special needs being carried to full term and assisted through childhood today.

The next year I was transferred to a charter school. Making friends has never really been a problem for me as I usually don't have trouble asserting who I am to others (loud, ADHD, outgoing, wild, the usual). Every day at lunch I watched a young girl being pushed around in a wheel chair around the playground. I decided it was time I went to talk to her. She communicated clearly, she struggled with expression and control over her motor skills but that didn't bother me because she had the same happiness Melissa had. Her name was Alisha and she was my friend. Every day at lunch I would swing and talk to her, sometimes play the "Titanic" song on my recorder for her and set up scenarios for us to be adventurers. It was such a relief to be able to be myself and to bask in the joy Alisha had.

Today, every week I try to dedicate my Monday to head downtown and volunteer at a pregnancy help center. Sometimes my encouragement and counsel is focused around children with special needs. I've learned not to be afraid of the unknown but to trust and pursue Christ and in turn He will light the path of which we fear to walk. The joy that Melissa and Alisha brought to my life has yet to be replicated. It was special and they deserved every bit of attention they needed because of it.

I recently heard a saying, "Love doesn't count chromosomes." As a child I didn't see brokenness in Melissa or Alisha. I saw something different. They were different then who I was and I wanted whatever they had to offer to help make me a better person. The love they had to give for one person was the same love they could give to 20 people. It was truly unconditional. It was real.

This world could use more authentic, unconditional love.


No comments:

Post a Comment