Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Wisdom

When I was around 10 years old I remember my Dad tucking me into bed and asking me if I could have anything in the world what would it be. To be honest, I don't remember my response because I'm sure it was childish but I remember my Dad's. As he was pulling up the covers he told me of a time when God asked a man the same question. My dad told me, "He could have asked for anything this world had to offer, but he asked for wisdom (1 Kings 3)." I remember my Dad telling me that wisdom was the greatest gift a part from God's love that I could ever have because it could never be taken away. He told me it would help me hear God when the world became loud.

That night after he prayed with my sisters and I, I asked God for wisdom. Tonight when I go to bed, I'll ask for the same thing and thank Him for enabling me with it on a day to day basis. Because you see, wisdom is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, open to reason, full of mercy and good fruits, impartial and sincere (James 3:17). It's everything you would want in order to live this life to the fullest.

So as the seasons approach and you begin your Christmas list, or even your child's, ask yourself, "Are we asking for the right things?"

No comments:

Post a Comment