Tuesday, November 4, 2014

What's in a name?

Ten years ago we had our first show as Beyond the Veil. The night before our show my sister Miriah and I picked out our matching outfits and sat in the living room practicing our songs. We hadn't written anything of our own, instead we purchased some karaoke tracks and harmonized with it. We were going to be stars. I had a dream and I had a vision on how things would play out in accomplishing that dream.

Flash forward ten years later and I can tell you with full confidence that my dream has come true, but it's not the same dream I had ten years ago.

It's amazing what time and the motions of life will do to your heart. Averaging 60-70 shows a year we found ourselves everywhere. There were shows where we played for the guy behind the counter, and there were shows we played where the crowd looked like waves in the sea. There were shows where we were blessed abundantly financially and there were shows where we walked away with nothing. And through every show, in every moment, my heart was taking something in; my story was important.

I came to Christ at a young age and throughout my adolescence I wrestled with how much I should allow Jesus in my story or in my music. I didn't want to be pushed away, I wanted to be heard. Being young in the industry I would often go back and forth between the opinions of others such as, "you need to be rockier," "you need to change your hair," "you need to live in a bigger city," "you need to have different managers other than your parents," and last but not least, "you need to change your name."

It seemed like everyone had the answer to how I could quickly get to the top and maybe all of the commotion helped me retreat back to the small town I lived in and continue on the way I felt led to go; with my family. It wasn't long before Sierra, our youngest sister, joined the group and we quickly became known for our harmonies. We were then blessed with an RV (aka Band Bus) and spent our high school/college weekends traveling from town to town. No matter the exposure, no matter the financial return, one thing was always made clear to us as a family; our story was important.

In 2011 I was married to the man of my dreams. The following year, my sister Miriah married the man of her dreams, who happened to be my dream man's roommate. Then later in 2012, Sierra headed off to college. We were all in different cities and spread out in 3 different states. Every now and then I took my piano and sang at a few open mic nights in the new state I was so unfamiliar with and every moment my heart yearned, not for the band we once were but rather the family we once were.

What happened? Why did we all have to be separated? People quickly began assuming Beyond the Veil would soon be disbanded, until late 2012 we released our album Spoken. We weren't able to tour as much as we wanted with it but I made the message clear within each song sung; our story was important.

In 2014, after I gave birth to my daughter Cora, we all gathered together to celebrate her 1st birthday and realized Beyond the Veil was not the same band anymore. We were not the same people anymore and I guess that's what happens with most bands. You realize the roads you've been traveling together weren't meant to be the same roads forever and we concluded that it was time for a change; we needed our story to reflect where we were in life now, which are different roads. And although we're on different paths, singing different notes, we're still singing the same song.

Our story is important because His story made our love for each other as a family and our music WORTH pursuing. And that's something we ALWAYS want to spread to others on and off the stage. Our dream is ultimately to share the love and peace of Jesus to those around us whether we are together or apart and to do that we needed a name that promised that to our fans and friends; Harmony Roads.

Thank you Beyond the Veil for teaching me that life is so much more than the voice I have to give; that it's so much more than who I am but rather who Jesus is and the importance of surrounding yourself with people who love and encourage you to be the best and most helpful person you can be for the good of the world.



No comments:

Post a Comment