Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Lights!? Are you rich?

My dad always puts on a good show of lights around the Christmas season. Growing up, every Thanksgiving he would have the display finished just in time to turn them on before we went to bed. Dad was known in the neighborhoods we lived in to be "THAT guy who always had lights." People knew and trusted he'd show up every year. At night I would watch from my window people walk or drive by to look at the nativity, the dancing colors, the candy cane walk way and the words, "Happy Birthday Jesus" written in lights.

The past two years I haven't been home to see my father put up his lights. But his display hasn't changed, even though all but one of us have left town. A week after this past Thanksgiving I was on the phone with my mom and my dad came in the room and I could hear him laughing. I smiled to myself and asked her what was so funny. He told my mom and my mom relayed to me that a small boy who recently moved into their neighborhood was watching my dad put up his lights from his house across the street. When my father plugged them in, the little boy ran over to him in awe and joy and blurted out, "WOW!!!... are you rich!?"

I joined in laughing with them and I could feel my heart was full. You see, when we see a light that's brighter than what we think we carry, our first reaction as humans is to ask, "what do they have that I don't?" Often times we answer that question by saying, "they must be rich," thinking money has bought a brighter life for them than what you have, but it is so much more complex. My dad has had those lights for years. He's a blue collar worker who's worked with his hands and on holidays for over 30 years. My mom also works full time. They aren't struggling, but they aren't "rich". None of us are. Don't get me wrong, we are all so blessed to have jobs that take care of us but working isn't what makes our lives bright. We work... and we give.

Giving... It is THAT season right? Well, my dad didn't have to put up lights. His girls aren't home anymore. He and my mom live in an entirely new neighborhood and know very few people. But they wanted to continue to give a physical light and a spiritual message to those around them. They wanted to be a constant reminder that they are a family that invests in their community and shines even when you're having your toughest days.

That night, the little boy across the street not only met my dad but he discovered a message; no matter how dark the world gets, as long as we have Jesus there will always be a light, somewhere. Sometimes it's right across the street. And the best part of that news is, you can have that light too. You don't have to be wealthy. You don't have to have a big huge light display. In fact those with very little sometimes shine the brightest because they are willing to give. Give their time, give their love, give their strength to strangers, friends, and family.

So as we come around the corner this Christmas season and you catch yourself asking why others shine brighter than you, remind yourself to instead ask, "how can I can shine with what I have in someone else's life?"

No comments:

Post a Comment